Newsletter Summer Term 9
As the summer term marches on the school definitely has a musical feel as children practice on the stage for our annual summer concert.
1. Our Talking Topic
This week we have been taking about ‘promises’ and how important it is to always keep promises.
2. Our Value
Our value has been ‘respect’ which is also so important. Please reinforce our learning here by talking to your child about these.
3. St John’s Summer Special
Information about the 3 productions we put on for KS1 and KS2 children has been cascaded. We have one in the morning, another in the afternoon and one in the evening. The staff agree to do an evening production, so parents/carers who work can see it as it is their only chance to come; so please help us share the available tickets fairly. Thank you for all the help with costumes that staff have asked you for. It promises to be a great show!
4. Events in School Last Week
- The Reception Class Assembly was marvellous and thank you to parents/carers who attended. Every single pupil spoke and had a part. It is events like this that add so much to children’s confidence and self-esteem. It was lovely to hear about their future aspirations and with this wonderful group we would not be at all surprised if their ambitions came true.
- Very well done to Harvey Tams, Kira Reilly, Bhuvan Pasupuleti, Ethan Kidd, Ryan Davis and Elliot Craggs who passed their Length Award in swimming. This is the Government’s minimum expectation for children leaving primary school. Jenson Nguyen passed his Elementary Award. We pay for additional swimming at St. John’s as this is such an important life skill.
- Y1 and Y2 children have all had a free nature and countryside day at Tittersworth Reservoir this week led by Miss Mazzei. They all had a wonderful day walking, bird watching and bug hunting and enjoyed this lovely experience. Staff always have to do a pre-visit to check all class visits so they are all approved and safe.
5. Cheeky Monkey Fundraising
Thank you so much for your support. The school has raised £449.13 for Children with Cancer UK charity. It also raised £449.13 for school funds which are used to subsidise school visits.
6. School Community Fair
Just a reminder this is on Saturday 4th July at 12:00pm-2:00pm. We are collecting new or good quality items for the fair. Please help us to make this successful by sending items in with your child. All the money raised goes towards class visits of which this year 95% have been free.
7. Bug Club
Bug Club has been updated and we now have a new website to go onto and a new school code. The usernames and passwords are the same. Please go to: www.activelearnprimary.co.uk and the school code is: sjc
(Please let Miss Mazzei know if you are having any problems).
8. Spitfire 75th Anniversary Design Competition
Could you create a design for a ceramic plate? Your plate could form part of a collage of winning designs to be displayed at the Mitchell Arts Centre, Hanley. Interested children please see Mrs Wolfe in Y3 for a leaflet with full details. School entries closing date is Thursday 16th July.
- If you wish to make an order for photographs from Tempest, please complete the forms and return in the envelope provided to the office by Friday 26th June.
- There will be no Breakfast Club available on Monday 20th and Tuesday 21st July.
- All after school clubs will finish at the end of next week, Friday 3rd July.
10. Vacancy Information
There are cleaning vacancies at schools within the area, if you are interested please contact Kieran Bevan at Entrust on Kieran.Bevan@compass-group.co.uk.
11. Home School Link Worker Information
- It was really disappointing that we had to cancel the Family Picnic again. Unfortunately due to a busy few weeks with concerts, trips etc we cannot arrange another one before we finish for the term. We are hoping to perhaps arrange it in September which is usually a good month. If not it will be early next year.
- These past few weeks we have had a few children in slings. If a child comes into school with either a leg or arm in a sling/plaster we keep them in a break and dinner time for safety reasons. They are allowed to choose a friend and either play a board game or read a book. At dinner time they are helped with their tray if they have school dinners and they usually eat in the community room, again with a friend. This is so they are not knocked whilst in the hall or cause a trip.
- As the better weather is coming (we hope!) please make sure your child is safe on a trampoline, there are a lot of injuries caused by children falling awkwardly or falling off them.
- Reminder – is your child’s attendance 100% from the 1st June? If it is still 100% when we finish on Tuesday 21st July (and it must be 100%) they will come home with a prize!
12. Celebration Assembly
Our children/classes who received awards on 19/06/15 were:
All of R1, Daniel Polhos, all of R2, Yassin Hamadto, Bethany Morrey, Biana Benny, Mia Beardmore, Samuel Kuruvilla, Grace Hawkins, all of Y4/5, Isabelle Westwood, Laynee Tunnicliffe, Jakub Jedrzejczyk and Moriell Sepe.
Mrs Bloor’s Award: Charlie Malbon
Dusty Bin (tidy classroom): Y5/6
Smart School Uniform: Adam Guenane
Lunchtime Supervisor’s Award: Elizabeth Solomon, Aaron Marshall and Liam Bates.
Good to be Green: KS1 – Frankie Wright and Biana Benny
Good to be Green: KS2 – Keira Tatler and Tyler Jordan
Time for Sport: Y3/4
Walk to School Trophy: 2M
Lunchtime Trophy: Y6
Y6 Prefect Trophy: Y5/6
Attendance Award: Biben Benny
Awards given out for data collected w/b 08/06/15:
Class Attendance: 99.3% – Y3
Whole School Attendance: 96.9% (Government target is 95%)
Pupil Attendance Awards: Kodi Amison and Daasha Dhillon
13. Dates for your Diary
Friday 26th June Northwood Visit ~ all day
Monday 29th June EY Spacebus ~ in school
Thursday 2nd July New Pupil and Parent/Carer visits ~ 9:30am-10:30am ~ in school
Thursday 2nd July Rounders Tournament ~ 3:30pm – 5:30pm
Saturday 4th July School Summer Fayre ~ 12:00pm – 2:00pm
Tuesday 7th July Summer Concert ~ 1:30pm
Tuesday 7th July Summer Concert ~ 6:00pm
Wednesday 8th July Summer Concert ~ 9:15pm
Thursday 9th July New Pupil and Parent/Carer visits ~ 9:30am-10:30am ~ in school
Monday 13th July Stanley Head Visit ~ Y6 ~ all day
Tuesday 14th July Stanley Head Visit ~ Y3/4 ~ all day
Tuesday 14th July Y6 Leavers Concert ~ 6:00pm (information to follow next week)
Wednesday 15th July Stanley Head Visit ~ Y3 ~ all day
Thursday 16th July Stanley Head Visit ~ Y4/5 ~ all day
Friday 17th July Stanley Head Visit ~ Y5/6 ~ all day
Friday 17th July Reception Graduation ~ 9:10am (information to follow)
Monday 20th July Stanley Head Visit ~ Y2M ~ all day
Monday 20th July NO BREAKFAST CLUB
Tuesday 21st July NO BREAKFAST CLUB
Tuesday 21st July End of Term ~ School closes at 2:00pm
Mrs P Bloor