SEN report 2015-2016

Special Educational Needs (SEN) school information report
St John’s CE Primary School 2015-2016

Welcome to St John’s Primary School SEN Information report. At St John’s Primary School, we celebrate the fact that all children are different and have different learning styles and needs.
Within this report you will find information about the provision that we offer at St. John’s Primary School to support children with Special Educational Needs or Disabilities.

ADD Attention Deficit Disorder
ADHD Attention Deficit & Hyperactivity Disorder
ASD Autistic Spectrum Disorder
CAMHS Child & Adolescent Mental Health Service
COP Code of Practice
EP Educational Psychologist
EWO Educational Welfare Officer
HI Hearing Impaired
HSLW Home School Link Worker
MLD Moderate Learning Difficulties
OT Occupational Therapist
SEN Special Educational Needs
SEND Special Educational Needs & Disability
SENCo Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator
SLCN Speech, Language and Communication Needs
SpLD Specific Learning Difficulty
VI Visually Impaired

1. What kinds of SEND does the school provide for?
The school accommodates all SEND in line with Equality Act 2010 and provision is available for all 4 areas of need outlined in the 2014 SEND Code of Practice:
*communication and /interaction- where Children and young people with speech, language and communication needs (SLCN) have difficulty in communicating with others.
*Cognition and Learning- where children have been identified as having moderate learning difficulties (MLD) or severe learning difficulties (SLD) or Specific learning difficulties (SpLD) affect one or more specific aspects of learning (this includes a range of conditions such as dyslexia, dyscalculia and dyspraxia) or profound and multiple learning difficulties (PMLD).
*Social, mental and Emotional Health- where children and young people require additional or different provision to help support them through a range of social and emotional difficulties.
*Sensory and/or physical – we work with outside agencies to provide support for children in our school with have sensory or physical difficulties. Some children will require specialist support and/or equipment to access their learning, or habilitation support. These difficulties can be age related and may change over time.

2. How does this setting/school/college know if children/young people need extra help and what should I do if I think my child/young person may have special educational needs?
At St John’s CE (A) Primary school, the progress and attainment of all children is carefully tracked and monitored by class teachers and members of the Senior Leadership Team throughout the year, this includes regular pupil progress meetings. We also know if children need extra help when concerns are raised by parents/carers, teachers or the child themselves.

3. How will early years setting/school/college staff support my child/young person?
This will be achieved through a range and variety of ways : quality first teaching, lessons differentiated according to ability/ pupils individual needs. This may also include additional teacher/TA support. In addition to this and with parent/carer consent, pupils may be offered extra interventions and small focus groups. These interventions will be reviewed regularly by the class teacher, SENCo, support staff and head teacher. Pupil Progress meetings are held with class teachers each half term to discuss the progress of pupils and further support and strategies may be planned. Within school, additional assessments maybe carried out these include: Salford Sentence Reading, HAST2 and British Picture Vocabulary Scale. These assessments can be repeated following an intervention to evaluate if progress has been made. Occasionally a pupil may need expert support from outside agencies, such as Speech and Language therapy, Educational Psychologist, SENDS services, occupational therapy, Young Minds and special school outreach. A referral will be made with parent/carer consent. From a referral and further assessments, programmes of support and suggestions are usually given to school and parents/carers to complete.

4. How will teaching approaches and the curriculum be matched to my child or young person’s needs?
At St John’s we aim to provide an inclusive, creative, child led curriculum that will equip children to be successful in life with high expectations of all staff. Work will be differentiated by the class teacher to enable them to access the curriculum more easily. Teaching assistants may work with the pupil 1:1 or in a small focus group. There may be times when appropriate specialist equipment is required for the child. When a pupil is identified as having a special need, then they will work with parents/carers/school staff to create their own learning pupil passport according to their area of need. These will be regularly monitored. If a child has been identified as having an extra area of need, they may be issued with an Education, Health and Care plan form the Local Authority( from September 2014) Currently this known is a Statement of Educational needs.

5. How will both you and I know how my child/young person is doing and how will you help me to support my child’s/young person’s learning?
At St John’s CE (A) Primary school, the progress and attainment of all children is carefully tracked and monitored by class teachers and members of the Senior Leadership Team throughout the year through pupil progress meetings. The targets which are set for pupils on their Pupil Passport will be reviewed termly when we will invite parent/carers along with your child to meeting to discuss the pupil passport and the progress since the previous meeting. We will discuss progress made and together set new targets. In addition to these termly meetings; class teachers, the SENCo, Head teacher and Home School Link Worker (HSLW) are available most days by appointment by visiting the school office. Annual written reports of your child’s achievement and progress will be sent to you. In the case of Education, Health and Care plans (Statements of Educational Needs) an annual review will be held with all agencies involved. The class teacher will suggest ways in which you can support your child during the Pupil Passport meeting. This will also be the case if outside agencies have been involved and suggested programmes which need to be completed by you at home

6. What support will there be for my child’s/young person’s overall wellbeing?
The school has a very positive and caring ethos for al pupils, where members of staff are regularly available for pupils to discuss any issues or concerns. In addition to this, we offer extra pastoral support for those who are encountering emotional difficulties. This may be done through regular mentoring, meet and greet, additional lunchtime activities and support, mediation, small group interventions for behaviour and anger management. In some cases external advice and agencies may be used. Each class has 2 school council members. The school council regularly have questionnaire regarding the school including safety, behaviour, learning and rewards. This is a successful way in which children have an avenue to say how they feel.

Pupils with medical needs.
If a pupil has a medical need then a detailed care plan is complied with support from the school nurse in consultation with parents/carers. This is then shared with the all the staff who work with the child. Staff receive regular asthma training and epipen training (when needed). Where necessary and with a medical consent form signed by parents/carers medicines are administered in school by an appropriate qualified first aider.

There is a team of first aiders.

7. What specialist services and expertise are available at or accessed by the setting/school/college?
*The agencies used by school include:
Educational psychologists
SEND services
School nurse
Social services
Outreach work
Occupational therapists
Speech therapists

8. What training are the staff supporting children and young people with SEND have had or are having?
Different members of staff have received various training on all aspects of SEN provision. These have included sessions on dyslexia, ASD, differentiation and speech and language difficulties and Stoke Speaks out Training. Our HSLW has passed an accredited Bullying course and a Higher Level Teaching Assistant (HLTA) is now undertaking this. The SENCO has the qualification ‘National Award for Special Educational Needs’. Staff will attend training for specific areas of SEND if and when they arise.

9. How will my child/young person be included in activities outside this classroom including school trips?
The school is fully inclusive for all children. Risk assessments are carried out and procedures put in place to enable all children to participate in activities. Parents, young person, teachers work together to ensure equal access and enjoyment. On some occasions this may require parent/carers to accompany the child during the activity.

10. How accessible is the setting/school/college environment?
The school fully complies with the Disability Discrimination Act.

11. How will the setting/school/college prepare and support my child/young person to join the setting/school/college or the next stage of education and life?
Many strategies are in place to ensure smooth transitions. These include discussions with previous or receiving school prior to leaving or starting. All pupils attend a transition session where they spend some time with their new teacher. In some cases additional visits are arranged for pupils who need extra time in their new setting. Children in Year 6 with a statement of Educational Need or Education, Health and Care plan have a transition meeting in the February before they start secondary school and the SENCO from the receiving high school is invited to attend this meeting and others if required. Additional transition is also arranged.

12. How are the setting’s/school’s/college’s resources allocated and matched to children’s/young people’s special educational needs?
The budget for SEN is allocated each financial year, the money is used to provide additional support, resources and equipment (including ICT) dependent on a child’s individual need. In addition to this resources are purchased according to need and requirements of specific pupils and groups (when needed).

13. How is the decision made about what type and how much support my child/young person will receive?
The decisions are based on termly tracking data, assessments by external agencies, identification of needs by staff and funding allocation. Staff are timetabled accordingly by the Senior Leadership Team. A provision map is completed and SEN testing takes place each term. The support a child gets will be shared with parent/carers at the pupil passport review meeting.

14a. How will our child/ young person be involved in the decisions about their learning?

At various times of the year all pupils have the opportunity to answer questionnaires about their learning. Children who have a Statement of Educational Needs or and Education Health Care plan or a Pupil Passport, will discuss their targets with the class teacher or teaching assistant. The child/young person will be involved in reviewing their own targets three times a year. If children are withdrawn from class for intervention groups the adult running the group will explain what it is about and what the aims of the group are. The groups will be regularly reviewed.

14b. How will we be involved in the decisions about the learning of our children/young person?
At the start of the school year parents are asked to sign a home school agreement. At various times throughout the year parent questionnaires are sent out. Parents are given time to express their thoughts at termly parents evenings. Parents of pupils with SEN are invited to meet with the class teacher once a term to discuss targets and progress, the views and comments made by parents/carers will be recorded on the pupil passport document.

15. How are parents involved in the setting/school/college? How can I be involved?
All parents are encouraged to contribute to their child’s education through, regular reading, positive support and support with homework activities. Parents are invited to parents evening which are held termly. At St John’s CE (A) Primary School we hold regular parent/carer workshops where parents/carers are invited into school to observe practices in reading, phonics and maths and writing. In addition to this parents are invited in to discuss the progress of the pupil passport termly. Annual reviews, for pupils with a Statement of Educational Needs or Education Health Care Plan are held in consultation with parent/carers and other relevant agencies. Parents are encouraged to discuss with the class teacher, SENCO, HSLW and the head teacher any issues or concerns they may have with regards to their child at anytime.

16. What do I do if I want to make a complaint?
At St John’s CE(A) Primary school, we are committed to working in partnership with parents/carers to meet the needs of all children in our school. If you have a question or concern about the provision for your child with SEN, then we encourage you to arrange a meeting with the class teacher. If you wish to discuss your concerns further, you can contact the Head teacher and/or SENCO. This is in line with our ‘Parent/Carer Complaints Policy’.

17. What other support is available to parents and how can I contact them?
At St John’s CE (A) Primary School:
Head Teacher – Mrs Bloor
Home School Link Worker – Mrs Ramsden
SENCO – Mrs Halfpenny

Outside of school there are a variety of people who you can contact for further help and support including:
The Safeguarding Board – 01782 235100
Your health visitor
School Nurse – 03001240362
Stoke-on-Trent City Council, local offer information;
SENDIASS (Formerly Parent Partnership) 01782 234701