Newsletter Summer Term 13
As we finish on Friday it probably seems to you like no time at all since the beginning of the year, but your children have learnt so much and moved forward in so many ways. St Johns has had another very successful year (we hope that you agree) and your support has been crucial.
1. Summer Concert
We hope you all enjoyed seeing your talented children take part in our annual concert. The children all had a great time and thoroughly enjoyed themselves. Activities like this contribute to self-esteem, team work and working towards a goal. Thank you for all your kind words to staff.
2. Bump-up Morning
The children, including new starters all had a lovely morning last Thursday and everything will be organised ready for the new classes in September.
3. Town Athletics
Nine children from St Johns represented Stoke in the City Athletics on Monday. Stoke won the competition which all our athletes were proud members of. Very well done to Evie Beech-Daly, Alina Mathew, Liam Davis, Landon Coates, and Lily-May Barlow. Samira Shilik gained a Bronze Medal for 3rd in the relay, Jensen Nguyen a Silver Medal for 2nd in the City at skipping and Oliver Woodward a Gold Medal as part of the relay team that broke a relay record that had stood for 21 years! The children were complimented by another school for their exemplary behaviour. Very well done to these children.
5. PE Day Friday
All the children had a great time with the dance instructor we had in, orienteering, scooting and the pedometer challenge. Early Years had a wonderful ‘Wow Day’ with a bouncy castle. This week all classes are having safety lessons on road safety, internet safety, dangers of water, healthy food choices, the danger of sugar and drugs education. We always make sure the children are learning up to the last day at St Johns. The children need to come in sports kit on Wednesday and Thursday (this can be their own kit as school PE kits will be ‘coming home’ for washing, unfortunately the world cup won’t be).
We have a skipping workshop on Thursday provided by a skipping specialist which the children will really enjoy. Please keep the PE bags safe for September as the same colours will be used. There are various competitions this week including an Early Years and KS1 Fun Run where some children will be coming home with medals/prizes for the pedometer challenge. The children have really enjoyed this healthy lifestyle focus and know how important it is for a healthy life.
6. Y6 Charity Fundraising
The ice cream sale raised £250 for the Donna Louise and £100 for the Douglas McMillan charity. Thank you for your support as these are super totals. As a farewell gesture, I am going to match these totals personally, as thinking about others less fortunate has been a core value at St Johns. I thank you for your generous support for Y6’s charity project.
7. Y6 Leavers Presentation
This is tonight at 6pm and all relatives/neighbours/friends are all cordially invited to attend. Y6 have achieved excellent results again (I am sure we will be in the top ten in the City once more). The focus of this outstanding group of pupils has been fantastic all year so please come and support.
8. Attendance awards
Well done to all those children that have achieved 100% attendance from September. These children have received a certificate, medal and a game. Jenson Nguyen won the £50 Vue Cinema voucher for 100% attendance and no more than 2 lates each month. Hao Yu, Dania Mousa, Isabella King & Isabelle Godwin won £20 Vouchers as runner up prizes.
9. Behaviour Awards
The children whose behaviour is exemplary have received their special award today and the vast majority of children have achieved this which shows how well behaved your children are. Other children further behind will receive their next award and we celebrate their improvement.
10. Staff News
- Miss Whalley has had baby Tobias and both are doing well. We send our best wishes to the family.
- Mrs Clarke and Mrs Mills-Farmer leave on Friday to begin their maternity leave and Mrs Connolly returns after her leave.
- As I retire on Friday after 13 years as head of St Johns I am immensely proud of how the school and community has moved forward. It was a difficult school amalgamation in 2005 and back then we had families who regularly argued and worse on school premises in front of their children, and others too idle to hear their children read. This has completely changed now and families aspire for their children, as Stoke on Trent needs even more well educated young people to move this great City forward. The school’s results the last three years have been better than National average, so our pupils are on the way to be the best they can be. These achievements could not have been made without the great support of families and Governors.
Key to the school’s success has also been all of the hard-working teams of staff at St Johns who all work tirelessly for your children, putting in long hours and great effort. I sincerely salute and thank them all. Mrs Cooper knows how lucky she is to take over such a good school. She is a current City Deputy (some of the Facebook information has been incorrect) and will lead the school to the next stage of it’s development.
11. Last reminders
- Children will be given their free book bag on Thursday.
- Children who are in receipt of pupil premium will get their jumpers/cardigans on Thursday
- PE kit will be given out in September
- The children return on Wednesday 5th September.
12. Home School Link Worker Information
- Well the school year has nearly finished. Where has the time gone! During the 6 week summer break if you have any concerns or issues and would like someone to talk to, please feel free to email me your telephone number and I will contact you as soon as possible. Have a lovely time with your family and thank you for your support in our family activities/workshops. My E-mail address is ‘firstname.lastname@example.org ‘.
- If you have any safeguarding issues during the 6 weeks, please refer to the Stoke on Trent Safeguarding website: www.safeguardingchildren.stoke.gov.uk
Finally on behalf of all the staff, I wish you a happy, safe summer with your wonderful children and lots of happy times. We thank you for your support making this a great year!
Mrs P Bloor
Some information regarding school uniform that you may find useful: