SEN report 2017-2018

Special Educational Needs (SEN) school information report – St John’s CE Primary School 2017/2018

Welcome to St John’s Primary School SEN Information report. At St John’s Primary School, we celebrate the fact that all children are different and have different learning styles and needs.

Within this report you will find information about the provision that we offer at St. John’s Primary School to support children with Special Educational Needs or Disabilities. You will also find our ‘school offer’.

As a school, we make provision for children with SEN within the 4 categories identified in the SEN Code of Practice 2014:

*Communication and /Interaction- where children and young people with speech, language and communication needs (SLCN) have difficulty in communicating with others.

*Cognition and Learning- where children and young people have been identified as having moderate learning difficulties (MLD) or severe learning difficulties (SLD) or specific learning difficulties (SpLD), affecting one or more specific aspects of learning (this includes a range of conditions such as dyslexia, dyscalculia and dyspraxia) or profound and multiple learning difficulties (PMLD).

*Social, Mental and Emotional Health- where children and young people require additional or different provision to help support them through a range of social and emotional difficulties.

*Sensory and/or Physical –   we work with outside agencies to provide support for children in our school that have sensory or physical difficulties. Some children will require specialist support and/or equipment to access their learning, or habilitation support. These difficulties can be age related and may change over time.

Contact details
Head teacher – Mrs P Bloor
SENCO- Miss K Lovatt
Home School Link Worker- Mrs M-A Ramsden
Tel no: 01782 238889

Evaluating the effectiveness of the provision made for children and young people with SEN-

At St John’s CE (A) Primary School, the progress and attainment of all children is carefully tracked and monitored by class teachers and members of the Senior Leadership Team throughout the year. The targets which are set for pupils on their Pupil Passport will be reviewed termly. We will invite parents/carers to a meeting to discuss the Pupil Passport and the progress made since the previous meeting. In addition to this, teachers, the SENCO, Head teacher and Home School Link Worker (HSLW) are available to discuss issues by appointment by visiting the school office. Annual written reports of your child’s achievement and progress will be sent to you. In the case of Education, Health and Care plans (Statements of Educational Needs) an annual review will be held with all agencies involved. The class teacher may suggest ways in which you can support your child during the Pupil Passport meeting. This will also be the case if outside agencies have been involved and suggested programmes which need to be completed by you at home. Parents/carers are regularly invited to observe good practice in the classroom of reading, phonics and maths. Parents/carers are asked throughout the year for their views by termly questionnaires.  At St John’s CE (A) Primary School, the Governors are given an annual report from the Head teacher, SEN is reported to the Governing Body annually and in committees. The SENCO also updates Governors on the curriculum committee annually. There is a SEN link Governor who meets with the SENCO throughout the year. Additional assessments maybe carried out these include: Progress in Reading Assessment (PiRA), the Helen Arkell Spelling Test (HAST 2), British Picture Vocabulary Scale (BPVS) and Progress in Understanding Maths Assessment (PUMA).  These assessments are carried out two or three times a year and can assess any progress that the children have made.

What if you have a concern about the provision for my child with SEN?

At St John’s CE(A) Primary School, we are committed to working in partnership with parents/carers to meet the needs of all children in our school. If you have a question or concern about the provision for your child with SEN, then we encourage you to arrange a meeting with the class teacher. If you wish to discuss your concerns further, you can contact the Head teacher and/or SENCO. This is in line with our ‘Parent/Carer Complaints Policy’. 

  1. How does the setting/school/college know if children/young people need extra help and what should I do if I think my child/young person may have special educational needs?

*We know if children need extra help if concerns are raised by parents/carers, teachers, the child and if our data tracking system shows limited progress.

  1. How will early years setting/school/college staff support my child/young person?

*All lessons are differentiated according to ability/ pupils individual needs. This may include additional teacher/TA support. In addition to this and with parent/carer consent pupils may be offered extra interventions and small focus groups. These interventions will be reviewed regularly by the class teacher, SENCO and Head teacher. Pupil Progress meetings are held with class teachers each term to discuss the progress of pupils and further support and strategies may be planned. Occasionally a pupil may need expert support from outside agencies such as Speech and Language therapy, Educational Psychologist, SENDS services, occupational therapy, Young Minds and special school outreach. A referral will be made with parent/carer consent. Programmes of support and suggestions are usually given to school and parents/carers, after assessments have been completed.

  1. How will the curriculum be matched to my child’s young person’s needs?

*Work will be differentiated by the class teacher to enable them to access the curriculum more easily. Teaching assistants may work with the pupil 1:1 or in a small focus group. There may be times when appropriate specialist equipment is required for the child. When a pupil is identified as having a special need, then they will work with parents/carers/school staff to create their own learning Pupil Passport according to their area of need. These will be regularly monitored. If a child has been identified as having an extra area of need, an application for an Education, Health and Care plan from the Local Authority may be required (previously known as a Statement of educational needs).

  1. How will both you and I know how my child/young person is doing and how will you help me to support my child’s/young person’s learning?

*We will invite you to a termly meeting to discuss the Pupil Passport and the progress since the previous meeting. In addition to this, teachers, the SENCO, Head teacher and Home School Link Worker (HSLW) are available most days by appointment. Annual written reports of your child’s achievement and progress will be sent to you. In the case of Education, Health and Care plans (Statements of educational Needs) an annual review will be held with all agencies involved.
The class teacher may suggest ways in which you can support your child during the Pupil Passport meeting.  Also if outside agencies have been involved and suggested programmes which need to be completed at home.

  1. What support will there be for my child’s/young person’s overall wellbeing?

The school has a very positive and caring ethos for all pupils, where members of staff are regularly available for pupils to discuss any issues or concerns. In addition to this, we offer extra pastoral support for those who are encountering emotional difficulties. This may be done through regular mentoring, meet and greet, additional lunchtime activities and support, mediation, small group interventions for behaviour and anger management. In some cases external advice and agencies may be used.
Pupils with medical needs.
If a pupil has a medical need then a detailed care plan is complied with support from the school nurse in consultation with parents/carers. This is then shared with the all the staff who work with the child. Staff receive asthma training and EpiPen training. Where necessary and with a medical consent form signed by parents/carers medicines are administered in school by an appropriate qualified first aider.
There is a team of first aiders.

  1. What specialist services and expertise are available at or accessed by the setting/school/college?

*The agencies used by school include:
Educational Psychologists
SEND services
CAMHS (Children and Adolescent Mental Health Service)
School nurse
EWO (Education Welfare Officer)
Social services
Outreach work
Occupational therapists
Speech therapists

  1. What training are the staff supporting children and young people with SEND have had or are having?

Different members of staff have received various training on all aspects of SEN provision. These have included sessions on dyslexia, ASD, differentiation and speech and language difficulties and Stoke Speaks out Training. Our HSLW and a Higher Level Teaching Assistant (HLTA) has passed an accredited Bullying course. The SENCO has the qualification ‘National Award for Special Educational Needs’.

  1. How will my child/young person be included in activities outside this classroom including school trips?

The school is fully inclusive for all children. Risk assessments are carried out and procedures put in place to enable all children to participate in activities. On some occasions this may require parent/carer to accompany the child during the activity.

  1. How accessible is the setting/school/college environment?

*The school fully complies with the Disability Discrimination Act. (see Accessibility policy)

  1. How will the setting/school/college prepare and support my child/young person to join the setting/school/college or the next stage of education and life?

*Many strategies are in place to ensure smooth transitions. These include discussions with previous or receiving school prior to leaving or starting. All pupils attend a transition session where they spend some time with their new teacher. In some cases, additional visits are arranged for pupils who need extra time in their new setting. Children in Year 6 with an Education, Health and Care plan have a transition meeting in the February before they start secondary school and the SENCO from the receiving high school is invited to attend this meeting and others if required. Additional transition is also arranged.

  1. How are the setting’s/school’s/college’s resources allocated and matched to children’s/young people’s special educational needs?

*The budget for SEN is allocated each financial year; the money is used to provide additional support or resources dependent on a child’s individual need. In addition to this resources are purchased according to need and requirements of specific pupils and groups.

  1. How is the decision made about what type and how much support my child/young person will receive?

*The decisions are based on termly tracking data, assessments by external agencies, indemnification of needs by staff and funding allocation. Staff are timetabled accordingly by the Senior Leadership Team.

  1. How are parents involved in the setting/school/college? How can I be involved?

*All parents are encouraged to contribute to their child’s education through regular reading, positive support and support with homework activities. Parents are invited to parents evening which are held termly. In addition to this parents are invited in to discuss the progress of the Pupil Passport termly. Annual reviews are held in consultation with parent/carers and other relevant agencies. Parents are encouraged to discuss with the class teacher, SENCO and Head teacher any issues or concerns they may have with regards to their child at anytime.

SEND Information, Advice & Support Service (SENDIASS)
Tel: (01782) 234701 or 234847

Stoke-on-Trent Safeguarding Children Board
Tel: (01782) 235100

Special Educational Needs Assessment and Monitoring Service (SENMAS)
Tel: (01782) 232740